1. Diving boundaries are open to all areas of the Gulf of Mexico
from Destin Pass and the
west end of Horn Island.
2. Competition begins at 5:00 a.m. Friday, August 10, 2018 and ends when scales close at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 12, 2018.
3. Bad Weather Rule: 12 consecutive hours without small craft caution issued by the National Weather Service constitute a valid rodeo.
4. All SCUBA diving contestants must be SCUBA certified and
possess a Certification Card. Contestants must
possess all appropriate Alabama state fishing licenses.
5. All fish must be speared by the diver while submerged and must
be brought to the beach or boat by the diver
who speared it. Fish caught by line or by means other than a spear gun are not eligible. Eligible fish are amberjack, flounder,
grouper, snapper, sheepshead, triggerfish. There WILL be a lionfish award to the diver that weighs in the most.
(1st Place Only) for the most lionfish shot by one diver.
6. Only rubber powered or pneumatic spear guns, loaded by
contestants muscle power, will be permitted.
Power heads, shark darts, or spears powered by explosive means, chumming, or chemicals, will not by permitted.
7. All fish are subject to autopsy. No frozen fish will be
accepted. Any attempt to defraud or cheat in the Rodeo,
in any way, will automatically disqualify the offender and all his/her fish.
8. Both male and female contestants may compete. All
contestants must enter their own fish unless other arrangements
prior to the tournament. Divers may win only once place per category.
9. The King and Queen Spearfisher Award will be given to the
diver with the highest weight total entered in
the Rodeo using the following formula. I point per pound up to 50 points per category.
One fish from each category may be entered toward this award. Fish do not have to place to be counted.
10. A Team Award will be given to the team accumulating the most
points. Points are awarded as follows:
1st place = 5 points, 2nd place = 3 points, 3rd place = 1 point. Team points will be counted from the top five
finishers of the team. A team must consist of at least two 2 but not more than 6 divers.
Scoring is as follows: TEN Points per Category and ONE (1) point per POUND, up to Fifty (50) points maximum per category.
11. A 1st Place Novice award will be given to the Novice who has
the highest weight total entered. One fish per
category may be entered toward this award. Novice = 3 years or less experience.
The Novice will be competing for 1st Place Novice ONLY.
12. No ties will be considered. An entry must exceed the weight
of the previously entered fish.
Decisions by the WEIGHMASTER are final!
13. Winners must be present at the awards ceremony, or notify a
Rodeo official personally in advance if a representative
is to accept an award on their behalf.
14. All protests must be submitted in writing and given to the
President before the awards ceremony.
Decisions by the President will be final.
15. All fish weighed in remain the property of the contestant.
16. Divers must state team affiliation on the registration form.
No changes will be accepted after the safety
17. Jackpot entries will be paid for flounder and snapper.
2018 Alabama Spearfishing Association Master Spearfisherman Award
The following categories will count toward this award: cobia, flounder, grouper, snapper and sheepshead.